We are happy to announce the sponsorship of a major survey of Contemporary African Art in Norway. Curated by Kristin Hjellegjerde, "KUBATANA" (‘togetherness’ in Shona) was on view at Vestfossen Kunstlaboratorium from May 4th to September 22, 2019. View images from the exhibition here.
The exhibition featured recent works by 34 leading practitioners from 19 countries across Africa and the African diaspora and occupied the entire Museum, making it one of the most expansive exhibitions of African art in Scandinavia to date, which includes several large scale site specific works. The variety of media and styles present – as well as the themes and topics explored – reflect on the immense cultural wealth and diversity of a continent home to multiple races, creeds, languages and cultures.
The exhibition is accompanied by a book featuring several essays by the likes of Osei Bonsu, Azu Nwagbogu, Tracy Murinik and Nic Cheesman.
Africa First is proud of this first major sponsorship and is pleased to have contributed 12 works from its collection, by the following 9 artists:
- Igshaan Adams (b.1982 in South Africa)
- Lhola Amira (b.1984 in South Africa)
- Cyrus Kabiru (b. 1984 in Kenya)
- Ibrahim Mahama (b. 1987 in Ghana)
- Troy Makaza (b. 1994 in Zimbabwe)
- Wycliffe Mundopa Hupenyu (b. 1987 in Zimbabwe)
- Niyi Olagunju (b.1981 in Nigeria)
- Pamela Phatsimo Sunstrum (b. 1980 in Botswana)
- Moffat Takadiwa (b.1983 in Zimbabwe)
Read the full press release.
Read the catalog here.
For more information: http://www.vestfossen.com/en/exhibitions/programme